HostBridge Redis for z/OS Introduces Ultra-Scalable NoSQL Data Store to the IBM z Systems Platform
High-performance, in-memory technology simplifies data management, speeds sharing within and beyond the enterprise, lowers mainframe cost of ownership
STILLWATER, Okla. June 16, 2015 – HostBridge® Technology, a provider of high-performance integration and optimization software for IBM® z Systems™ and CICS®, announces HostBridge Redis® for z/OS®.
This new HostBridge product makes Redis – the in-memory NoSQL data store at the heart of today’s ultra-scalable cloud and mobile apps – available for the first time on the platform that powers the strongest enterprises on Earth. IBM z Systems customers will be able to use HostBridge Redis for z/OS to meet the exploding demand for data via Web, mobile, and cloud far more efficiently and at the lowest possible cost.
Why Redis on z/OS
“From the z/OS perspective,” Teubner adds, “HostBridge Redis is a modernizing extension to transaction processing systems such as CICS and IMS™, and to traditional database systems such as DB2®, VSAM™, and Datacom®. Customers who shift portions of their existing data workloads to HostBridge Redis, or use Redis to run new workloads, will gain significant benefits. They will be able to share their most valuable data with distributed apps across any platform, inside or outside the enterprise, at lightning speed, and with unparalleled scalability. And they will add value to their traditional data systems while reducing processing costs.”
How HostBridge Redis for z/OS Delivers
Built on the latest Redis code base, HostBridge Redis includes innovative features that offer a range of benefits to the z Systems customer:
- In-memory data caching – permits much faster request/response processing than is possible with traditional databases
- Advanced key-value store (including complex values of up to 512 MB) – provides software developers with more flexible data structures to transcend the limitations of traditional relational or hierarchical models
- Data persistence – yields dependability, scalability, fault tolerance, and ACID compliance (Atomicity, Consistency, Isolation, and Durability)
- Asynchronous replication via master-slave and publish-subscribe models – enables ultra-scalability and automated data sharing in near-real time
- High availability – ensures near-100-percent uptime when using the Redis Sentinel option and its failover capabilities.
Replication: Within and Beyond the Enterprise
With its built-in replication capabilities, HostBridge Redis can be deployed in a variety of ways to extend Redis benefits within and beyond the enterprise. HostBridge Redis can:
- Be accessed from applications running on either the mainframe or distributed non-z platforms
- Run in one or more z/OS address spaces, with replication among them
- Be replicated across z/OS and z/Linux systems, for example, so that system-of-record data can be made available to analytics and user-experience applications running on z/Linux
- Be deployed on z/OS and on non-z platforms, with multi-directional replication, so that all authorized users have access to the same data – regardless of platform.
zIIP-Eligible HostBridge Redis
HostBridge Redis for z/OS can run on IBM’s z Integrated Information Processor (zIIP) as well as the general purpose processor (GP). By executing Redis commands on this specialty engine, z Systems customers will further reduce processing costs and gain even greater value. They will also free up GP MIPS for mission-critical system-of-record processing. HostBridge Technology is licensed by IBM to run its software on the zIIP.
Building Bridges – From z to Anywhere
To discuss HostBridge Redis for z/OS and installation in specific environments, contact the HostBridge team at 866-965-2427 or info@HostBridge.com. For more information about HostBridge Redis, or to register for upcoming webcasts and the latest news, visit and explore our Redis page.
About HostBridge Technology
# # #
HostBridge and the HostBridge logo are registered trademarks of HostBridge Technology. Redis and the Redis logo are trademarks of Salvatore Sanfilippo in the U.S. and other countries. IBM, z Systems, z/OS, CICS, DB2, and IMS are trademarks or registered trademarks of IBM. All other trademarks mentioned are property of their respective owners.